How To Recruit and Vet Board Members
COURSE #301177206 Any nonprofit organization is led by the efforts of its Board of Directors. From establishing mission, vision and values to fundraising, a Board is the foundation of organizational success. But how is a strong Board created and where do great Board Members come from? In this workshop the following topics are covered:
- Defining what type of Board membership skills are needed
- Board diversity is much more than gender and ethnicity
- Formation of Emeritus, Honorary, Young Professional and Leadership Boards
- Board job descriptions, measurements and evaluations
- Board governance issues and key factors in keeping Board Members engaged
- Term limits and pathways to cultivating top leadership positions
- How to vet prospective Board Members
- Process of voting in new Board Members
Founder / CEO American Nonprofit Academy
About The Instructor
“I love my work and most happy when I can help nonprofits reach their mission, vision and values”—Julia Patrick.
After attending Claremont McKenna College and studying Asian Economics, Julia was recruited to RH Macy’s Executive training program in northern California. Within two years, she left the corporate environment and pursued a variety of businesses with her companion (future husband). The subsequent 10 years of lessons from entrepreneurship yielded both success and failures.
As a native Arizonan instilled with a family sense of service to the community, beginning in 2001, Julia created and founded Frontdoors news magazine. Originally printed, the publication covered the nonprofit and philanthropic news of Arizona. The award winning news publication grew beyond the boundaries of the State, and with Julia’s 18 years of guidance, successfully maneuvered into the digital age.
Recently, Julia has presented at more than 90 events and seminars about nonprofits, their people, problems and opportunities. Serving currently or in the past on the Boards of civic justice, domestic violence and performing arts nonprofit organizations, Julia has tremendous insight balanced with an understanding of the real issues and concerns of nonprofit staff, volunteers, and funders.
Julia C. Patrick is the Founder and CEO of American Nonprofit Academy.
email Julia at: firstname.lastname@example.org